About FAE: Version History
Version 1.1 (2011-01-19)
- Note: The change to the data table rule regarding the use of th elements (see notes for 1.1.b1) means that reports run with prior versions of FAE (with ruleset ID lower than 1011-1) may display an inaccurate result for this rule. Where the evaluation of data tables is of primary interest, it is advised that any such reports be rerun.
Version 1.1.b2 (2010-12-21)
- Updated DHTMLGET to version 1.4 with new algorithm for conversion of character entities (in testing version only).
Version 1.1.b1 (2010-11-15)
- Includes DHTMLGET and the option to "Include DHTML content" (in testing version only).
- Updated the FAE user interface to indicate that the "Include DHTML content" option was selected for a particular evaluation. Each report header for such an evaluation indicates "DHTML: Y", and the Archived Reports and Manage Reports tables indicate this with a 'Y' in the "DHTML" column.
- Updated FAE to Ruleset 1011-1: Changed the Navigation & Orientation/Data Tables rule regarding the use of th elements.
- Old rule: For each data table, the first cell in each column must be a th element, and each row must contain at least one th element.
- New rule: Each data table must include column and/or row headers: The first cell in each column must be a th element, and/or each row must contain at least one th element.
Version 1.0.5 (2010-08-17)
- Added data export functionality via the 'Download XML' link. The XML file that results from selecting this link contains most of the information displayed in the Sitewide Report, except that for each rule, while page counts are given for each evalution result, specific pages are listed only for evaluation results of Warn and Fail.
Version 1.0.4 (2010-07-21)
- Updated FAE to Ruleset 1004-1
- Added Navigation & Orientation/Form Controls rule that requires unique 'id' values on all form controls with an 'id' attribute.
- Changed the Styling/Text Styling rules for the 'font', 'center', 'b', 'i' and 'u' elements from Pass/Fail to Pass/Warn.
- Changed a few remaining URLs from uiuc.edu to illinois.edu.
Version 1.0.3 (2009-06-02)
- Updated FAE to Ruleset 0906-1: Changed the Navigation & Orientation/Data Tables rule regarding the use of th elements.
- Old rule: Each data table must utilize th elements as the first cells of all columns or rows.
- New rule: For each data table, the first cell in each column must be a th element, and each row must contain at least one th element.
Version 1.0.2 (2009-05-14)
- Updated FAE to Ruleset 0905-1: Changed the two Scripting rules for onmouseover and onmouseout from Pass/Fail to Pass/Warn.
- Added a Ruleset specifier in the header content for all reports, and an explanation for it in a subsection of the About FAE: Overview page entitled FAE Rulesets.
- All FAE URLs now reflect the domain name changeover from uiuc.edu to illinois.edu.
Version 1.0.1 (2009-04-03)
- Updated content of Disclaimer page.
- Added instructions for Username field in registration form.
- Updated 404 template to cross-reference information on purging of reports.
- Fixed typographical error in Rules Summary.
Version 1.0 (2009-02-27)
- Modified Summary Report calculations: N/A results are now included in % Pass.
- Added account registration requirement of providing unique e-mail address.
- Added mechanism for disallowing account registrations based on installation platform.
- Added and updated content for account registration information.
- Fixed HTML validation problems and refactored CSS.
- Added conditional display of link to W3C HTML Validator.
Version 1.0.rc1 (2009-02-18)
- Modified Summary Report table captions, descriptive text and formatting.
- Added display of username in Utilities menubar.
- Added filter options on Usage Statistics page.
- Modified installation directory structure to work with CITES standards.
- Upgraded Django to latest version: 1.0.2.
Version 1.0.b8 (2009-01-30)
- Added two additional Navigation & Orientation/Data Tables rules for complex data tables.
- Modified the method by which guest reports are purged.
Version 1.0.b7 (2008-12-03)
- Added three Navigation & Orientation/Data Tables rules.
- Modified the rule evaluation result messages scheme at the Page Report level: When the result is N/A, only the text "N/A" is displayed; no additional information is provided.
- Modified the function used to select focusable elements such that the href attribute on an 'a' element may be empty.
Version 1.0.b6 (2008-10-27)
- Added Scripting rules in onclick and onmouseover/onmouseout subsections.
- Added Navigation & Orientation/Access Keys rule.
- Added a reference and link to the Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act (IITAA) on the About FAE: Overview page.
- All rules in FAE are now either new or updated (with a total of 37 rules in this version); removed (New) indicators on Page and Sitewide Reports and Rules Summary pages.
Version 1.0.b5 (2008-10-20)
- Modified and expanded the heuristics used for detecting and evaluating Navigation Bar markup patterns and rules to add significantly more flexibility.
- Updated Navigation & Orientation/Default Language rule to recognize initial language subtag possibly followed by additional hyphen-separated subtags for region or script.
- In the Text Equivalents report section, created three new subsections: Informative Images, Decorative Images and Image Maps, and implemented all pass/fail rules for these subsections.
- In the Style report section, created two new subsections:Text Styling and Layout Tables. Implemented new pass/fail rules for inline style elements, including font, center, b, i, u, blink and marquee. Modified linearization rule previously in Navigation & Orientation and moved it to the Layout Tables section.
- Added Best Practices links and (New) indicators for new rules in the About FAE: Rules Summary page.
Version 1.0.b4 (2008-09-30)
- Added "unique frame titles within frameset" rule to the Navigation/Frames subsection. Also modified the "frame title rule" to check that attribute value is nonempty.
- Reimplemented the default language rule formerly in the HTML Standards section and moved it to the Navigation/Default Language subsection. FAE now checks whether the value of the lang attribute is a valid two-character language code as defined by the IANA.
- Reimplemented the DOCTYPE rule in the HTML Standards section. FAE now stores the DOCTYPE of each page during the initialization phase so that it is available to any rule/test evaluation.
- Renamed two of the five main sections of Sitewide and Page reports to match the new Best Practices main category names.
- Added a Beta Testing page in About FAE that itemizes new features and rules that need further testing.
- Prepended a (New) indicator to each new rule in the Sitewide and Page reports to facilitate beta testing.
- Reworked layout of report pages so that last h1 element precedes the report context information box.
- Reorganized Archived Reports and Manage Reports tables to place Report Title column at left.
Version 1.0.b3 (2008-09-04)
- Added and/or modified rules in the Navigation Bars and Form Control Labels subsections of Navigation.
- A significant amount of work was put into the navigation list rule in the Navigation Bars section, which should now allow for many more variations of navigation list markup.
- Refactored the navigation test modules in the OCaml analysis engine.
- Modified various parts of FAE for compatibility with Django 1.0, which was released yesterday.
Version 1.0.b2 (2008-07-29)
- New rules added in the Titles, Subheadings and Form Control Labels subsections of Navigation.
- Rule evaluation result messages at the Page Report level have been reworked according to the following scheme: When the result is 'pass', no additional information is provided; when the result is 'warn' or 'fail', the number of elements that do not meet the criteria for passing the rule is reported.
Version 1.0.b1 (2008-07-21)
- FAE is now based on the Django web application framework written in the Python programming language. As in previous versions, it also consists of an analysis engine written in Objective CAML and a PostgreSQL DBMS.
- New rules have been added, and existing rules modified, based on the IITAA Implementation Guidelines. These include all rules in the Titles, Subheadings and Form Controls subsections of the Navigation section of Page and Sitewide Reports.
- Manage Reports feature: A registered user may now select up to five reports (by default) to be permanently archived. Additionally, the last five reports that have been generated but not marked for permanent archival are also saved.
- Reports that do not meet the above criteria are now automatically purged based on their age (currently after they are two days old).
- Usage statistics are now collected via automated script, and can be viewed from the About FAE menu under Usage Statistics.
- Run FAE changes: The default Run FAE form for authenticated users now accepts only a single URL. To analyze multiple URLs, select the Multiple URLs link in the top menu bar.
- Page Report header information now includes the Page Title content.
- The URL for linking directly to FAE has changed. Please see the About FAE: Overview page for details.
- Change history for older versions of FAE can be found at Pre-1.0 Versions.